Our program is a teaching site for the University of Washington, hosting seven third-year clerkship students and two fourth-year sub-interns each year. We do not offer other sub-internship opportunities other than the diversity sub-internship listed below. Please feel free to email us with questions regarding our program.
Diversity Family Medicine Sub Internship
The visiting student sub-internship is designed to give medical students from an a racial or ethnic that is underrepresented underrepresented in medicine (URiM) the opportunity to further develop their skills in Family Medicine and experience training at Kaiser Permanente Washington Family Medicine Residency. Students will spend four weeks at Kaiser Permanente in Seattle in a variety of settings including inpatient, outpatient and community settings. Students will receive mentorship provided by RPrIDE faculty and be matched with a resident during their time. Up to three students per year will be selected and will receive up to $3000 funding towards travel and living expenses.
Eligibility: Students must be-
- In good standing entering 4th year of medical school
- Interested in a career in Family Medicine and practicing in Washington state
- Able to participate in 4-week Clerkship in Seattle during one of these timeframes:
- July 25 - Aug. 19, 2022
- Sept. 19 - Oct. 14, 2022
- Nov. 21 - Dec. 16, 2022
- We define Underrepresented in Medicine (URiM) based on race/ethnicity discordance between Washington State and family physicians. This includes Black/African American, Hispanic, Latino, Native American, or Asian Pacific Islander and other Asian ethnicities underrepresented in medicine.
This is an ongoing Clerkship opportunity, and applications are open to individuals from URiM backgrounds. The application requires the following:
- Two letters of recommendation (not from family):
✓ One from a medical/osteopathic school professor/clinician
✓ One from an advisor or activity leader who can speak to your work in diversity/inclusion activities or culturally competent care
- Short essay (max 500 words) that includes:
- Personal statement
- Interest in Kaiser Permanente Family Medicine Program
To inquire about the program please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Download an information sheet (PDF) about this internship
DEADLINE EXTENDED TO JUNE 15, 2022
Complete and submit an Internship application.