Taking Steps Toward a Less Stressed Life
Many people want to cope better with the stress in their lives and find more balance and joy. A less-stressed life usually helps us be more of the person we most want to be.
Exploring what's holding you back
A good place to start is to ask a simple question: What's keeping you from coping better with stress? Knowing what's getting in your way can help you take the first steps toward finding balance in your life. Maybe you've had thoughts like these:
- "I don't have time to do something relaxing."
- "I don't know what would help me."
- "Too many people need me."
- "Everything else seems more important."
- "I don't have a good plan."
- "I'm not sure about trying something new."
Do any of these thoughts sound familiar? Maybe something else is holding you back.
Finding ways to recharge
Doing something to manage stress better can feel like it will take more time and energy than you have. But taking a little time to fuel your own body and mind can bring great benefits. Here are some examples:
- Take more time to do things for yourself, such as yoga. It can help recharge you so you have more to give to others.
- Learn about practicing mindfulness. You can do it anywhere, and it doesn't take much time.
- Make time for social activities, such as joining a book club. Consider saying "yes" to a fun activity you've declined before.
Ask yourself these questions, and write down your ideas.
- What makes it hard for you to do something to cope with stress and feel better?
- What might make it easier?
- What are some things that might bring you joy?
- Which of these things seems like something you could try now?
- When do you think you could start?
Current as of: March 3, 2020
Author: Healthwise Staff
Heather Quinn MD - Family Medicine