Clear-liquid diet for colonoscopy preparation
One day before — and the day of — your colonoscopy, you will be on a clear-liquid diet. The chart shows examples of drinks you can include, and what to avoid. Starting the day before your screening, don't eat any solid food until after your colonoscopy.
Print this chart (PDF) for easy reference.
See the low-fiber diet chart for what you can eat the previous days.
|Clear liquids and limited light-color drinks only||Yes — OK to drink ||No — avoid these|
- Tea and black coffee without any milk, cream, or lightener
- Flavored water without red or purple dye
- Clear, light colored juices such as apple, white grape, lemonade without pulp, and white cranberry
- Clear broth including chicken, beef, or vegetable
- Sports drinks such as Gatorade and Propel (light colors only)
- Popsicles without fruit or cream; no red or purple dye
- Jello-O or other gelatin without fruit; no red or purple dye
- Boost Breeze Tropical Juice drink
- Alcoholic beverages
- Orange juice
- Grapefruit juice
- Tomato juice
- Soup (other than clear broth)
- Cooked cereal
- Juice, Popsicles, or gelatins with red or purple dye