Patient undergoing physical therapy

Activity, Sports, and Exercise Medicine

Activity, Sports, and Exercise Medicine (ASEM) specialists treat activity-related injuries for all ages and activity levels. This specialty is for people at any stage of fitness, with a focus on helping people get active and stay active. 
Activity-related injuries include damage to muscles, joints, bones, tendons, cartilage, or ligaments. For example, you might see an ASEM specialist if you tore a knee ligament while lifting a heavy bag or while exercising. These specialists also work with patients to prevent injuries.

Finding a Specialist

To find an Activity, Sports, and Exercise Medicine specialist, you can:

To find out if you need a referral from your personal physician to see a sports medicine specialist, see How to Get Specialty Care.

It's always a good idea to start with your primary care doctor (or personal physician) for initial diagnosis and treatment.

Health Information

To learn more, see Fitness and Exercise Resources.