Complementary and alternative medicine services and coverage
Kaiser Permanente provides options for you to access complementary and alternative care services — acupuncture, naturopathy, chiropractic, and massage therapy. Coverage varies based on your health plan and benefits.
If your plan does not cover these services, you still have access to the Complementary Choices discount program.
What services are covered?
- Most of our plans cover a limited number of acupuncture, naturopathy, and chiropractic visits without requiring a referral from your primary care doctor.
- Massage therapy services require a referral from your doctor if he or she determines the services are medically necessary.
- Your doctor may also provide referrals to acupuncturists or naturopathic physicians if he or she determines the care is medically necessary.
- For services that your health plan covers without requiring a referral, we contract with a network of chiropractors, naturopaths, acupuncturists, and massage therapists. All of our contracted providers meet both our credentialing standards and state or local licensing requirements.
Use our provider directory to find someone in our contracted network.
Tips for using the directory:
- Select your health plan and enter the correct location in the search area.
- Click on the appropriate boxes: Medical Care > Specialty Care > Chiropractic and Alternative Care.
- You can narrow your search results using "Refine Your Results" on the listing page.
Complementary Choices Discount Program
Care Services: When your care doesn't meet Kaiser Permanente's coverage or referral criteria — or if you've used all your covered visits — Kaiser Permanente's Complementary Choices program offers a 20 percent discount on services with acupuncture, chiropractic, massage therapy, and naturopathy providers in our contracted network.
To receive your Complementary Choices discount, you must use a provider listed in our Provider Directory. Follow the above tips for using the provider directory.
Fitness Services: The Complementary Choices program also offers discounts for certain wellness and prevention services that are not covered by our health plans. These include personal fitness and exercise trainers; and yoga, tai chi, and Pilates instructors.
- To find a trainer or instructor, go to the Complementary Choices website below and use that directory to find a provider.
- If your favorite yoga, tai chi, or Pilates instructor or personal trainer is not in the Complementary Choices directory, you may nominate them for the network. Open the Complementary Choices directory and submit the "Nominate a Practitioner" form at the bottom of any search page.
How do I receive a discount?
- When you make an appointment, tell the provider that you are a Kaiser Permanente member. Show your Kaiser Permanente ID card at the beginning of your visit and ask for the 20 percent discount.
- You don't need paperwork or referrals, and no copayments or coinsurance apply. You are responsible for paying the provider at the time of service.
- The program covers office visits, classes, and sessions. There are no limits to the number of visits, classes, or sessions to be eligible for the discount. It does not include laboratory tests, X-rays, or any products the provider may recommend.
- The discount does not apply to copayments or coinsurance for covered services.