Well-care visits focus on prevention
One of the best ways to stay healthy is through preventive care. That's why we have special "well-care visits" that are generally covered as part of a Preventive Services benefit. There is no copay, coinsurance, or deductible for the benefit.
Well-care visits focus on what you can do to prevent future disease or injury, or catch health problems before they become serious.
You may have health issues or conditions you're managing, but the focus of a well-care visit is to avoid future health issues.
What's included in a well-care visit
These are typically considered preventive care and included in your well-care visit:
- Review of your medical history*, well-care questionnaire, and health risk assessment
- Discuss how to lower current health risks
- Certain screening tests and immunizations (vaccines)
- Counseling on health-related behaviors: diet, physical activity, tobacco and alcohol use, managing stress, and safety
*Does not include evaluation or treatment for existing health conditions.
What's not preventive care
- Evaluation and diagnosis of new health issues
- Treatment of existing health conditions
- Lab tests or X-rays for existing or new conditions or illnesses
- Prescribing or adjustment of medications
- Chronic disease management for ongoing conditions like diabetes or asthma
- Exams and immunizations required solely for employment, immigration, licenses, travel, or other types of insurance
If any of the above services are included in your well-care visit, you may be responsible for a copay, coinsurance, or deductible for these additional services.
Make time for wellness
Take advantage of your well-care visit to focus on needed screenings, your unique health risks, and steps you can take to improve your health. If you have new or existing health issues to discuss, consider scheduling a separate appointment so you and your provider can devote the time needed to those symptoms or concerns.
Find out about your benefit
For details on your coverage, check your health plan documents or view your coverage documents online or call Member Services toll-free at 1-888-901-4636.
Medicare Advantage plan members should consult their Evidence of Coverage for information regarding their annual wellness visit benefit, or call Member Services. For Medicare members, this visit is with a registered nurse. Learn more about the Medicare annual wellness visit (PDF).